Welcome to the Chicago Harp Ensemble, training ensemble of the Chicago Harp Quartet. This site is for students, families, and teachers to help us all stay organized and informed, as well as for potential new members to see what we're all about. Please check out our 2017-18 season and let us know if you have any questions!
About the Ensemble
The Chicago Harp Ensemble was established in Fall 2010 to provide vital ensemble experience to harpists of all ages, performance levels and harp types. All classes are lead by a professional instructor with extensive experience with harp ensemble and take place September through May. Classes include warm-up exercises, sight-reading and performance pieces while integrating music theory and improvisation as well. Participation in the harp ensemble will enrich harp education by providing a fun and friendly environment in which to learn ensembles skills, build a strong rhythmic background, strengthen ear training, learn to follow a conductor and build a supportive harp community.
The Chicago Harp Ensemble performs two concerts free to the public each year. If you are interested in attending these concerts, please get in touch with CHQ to find out more information.
Marguerite Lynn Williams, Founder & Director
Alison Attar, CHE North Assistant Director
Julie Spring, Assistant Director
Lauren Hayes, Teaching Assistant
The Chicago Harp Ensemble is pleased to announce its 2017-2018 season beginning September 16th. Ensemble rehearsals will take place at Roosevelt University, 430 S. Michigan Ave, Rm 901 Harp Studio, where we are privileged to have four concert grand harps to be shared amongst students.
Fall 2017 Schedule
December 3 (Dress Rehearsal 2-4pm) Lyon & Healy Hall
Concert: December 3, 5pm Lyon & Healy Hall
Spring 2018 Schedule
June 3 (Dress Rehearsal 2-4pm) Lutkin Hall
Concert: June 3, 5pm Lutkin Hall
Registration & Tuition
The Chicago Harp Ensemble is open to harpists of all ages, performance levels and harp types. Please send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 773.791.7520 for an application and membership details.
- Registration deadline: 9/9/17
- Tuition: $225/semester or $400 for both semesters if paid in full by 9/9/17
- Tuition is due with registration materials each semester (9/9/17 for the Fall term and 2/17/18 for the Spring term)
- Please make checks payable to: Chicago Harp Quartet
- Music will be distributed beginning 8/4/17, as soon as registration materials are received.
- Students are expected to prepare music before the first rehearsal of each term.
- Contact the Chicago Harp Quartet for a registration form: email@example.com
- Harpists are required to bring their harp, bench and music stand to all rehearsals and concerts. (unless other arrangements have been made to use an available harp or other equipment)
- 4 pedal harps are available for use in the ensemble. Please contact the Director to inquire about using these instruments.
- Attendance at all rehearsals is expected, however we offer some flexibility to accommodate members who would otherwise not be able to participate. Please read the attendance policy on registration materials carefully. Attendance at dress rehearsals and concerts is mandatory.
- All harpists are expected to arrive no less than 15 minutes prior to the start of ensemble rehearsal and are required to tune their own instrument.
- Tardiness is not allowed. If for any reason a harpist arrives after the start of a rehearsal, they will tune quietly outside the room and be allowed to join the ensemble at an appropriate break.
- Parking is available on the street and in paid parking lots. We suggest using parkwhiz or spothero to find discounted rates.
- Concert Dress: For the 2017-2018 season, CHE will be wearing long black bottoms (pants or full-length skirts), black tops, black hosiery or socks and black shoes.